“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

Thursday, February 16, 2012

You Can't Hide Your Lyin' Eyes...

I sat nervously on the couch, sitting as far away from Brendon as I could.  He had come over to see how I was doing--so sweet of him, right?

I couldn't find the strength to say anything, I knew I'd get upset.  Avoiding looking him the eye, I let my eyes wander my apartment.  If all he had seen was my place, he'd think I was doing just fine.  Cleaning was my own method of clearing my head, it was always relaxing to be in a spick-and-span environment.  Magazines were stacked straight on the coffee table at our feet, blankets were folded nicely on the back of my cocoon of a chair.  I had rearranged my bedroom furniture and wiped down the countertops in the kitchen.  Curtains were pulled back to let the sun in and my view of Pittsburgh was on display.

After what felt like an eternity of silence but in reality was only a minute, I saw out of the corner of my eye Brendon sighing before he dropped his head on the back of the couch.

"Look, I just wanted to come by and apologize.  I didn't plan for it to happen like this."

"Being with someone else, or getting caught--which part didn't you plan for?" I was just as surprised to hear the sound of my own voice as Brendon was.

Standing up, I couldn't stop the words from blurting out of my mouth as I paced in front of the TV.  "Was it me?  I mean, why would you do that?"

Chuckling, Brendon leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.  I almost slugged him right there.  I knew I sounded like the stereotypical girl who wouldn't face the fact that she was dumped, but I was without an explanation.  And I was dying for one.

"Why?" I repeated, my voice raising.

"We weren't even together when I was with Lindsey!" He shouted back.  I couldn't hide it when I flinched at her name.  "I mean we were, just not, not officially.  It's not like you weren't seeing someone else either, I'm not stupid Elaine,"

Resting on my hip with my arms across my chest, I tapped my foot and cocked an eyebrow at him.  "So you're going to play dumb now?"  I stared at him blankly.

Brendon raised from the couch and took a few steps.  At first I thought that was it, he was going to leave and I would be even more confused.  But he whipped around, his chest rising quickly.

"You know, I can't believe you're standing here making me look like the asshole,"

"You are the ass--" Marching right up to him, I started to yell.

"Just because you may not have been fucking him, it doesn't mean you weren't cheating!" Brendon barked.

"Wha--what, Brendon who are you talking about?"

"IIIIIIII'vveee got sandwhicheeeeeeees!" bellowed Sidney as he came swinging through the front door, a smile on his lips, food and drinks in hand.

Brendon glanced at Sidney before looking back at me.  "Speak of the devil!" he said sarcastically, like he was answering my question.

Your timing is impeccable Sidney Crosby.

No comments:

Post a Comment